When you are researching STEM subjects you will probably come across STEaM information as well. The little “a” stands for “art & design” and for some policy makers it is a vital component in some STEM jobs and STEM education. And like most everything else in education you will find a wide variety of both proponents and opponents to the idea of making art & design a vital part of STEM.
I’m not sure who is winning the battle but I think this blog post from a STEM/STEaM teacher illustrates some of the various ways it is being approached on the education side.
On the job front for STEaM jobs I’ve posted below several recent examples of jobs in Idaho with both STEM and Art requirements.
Engineering Multimedia Developer
Our Boise Idaho office is looking for an Engineering Multimedia Developer to join our firm of professionals. In this mid-level position you will be responsible for multi-media content creation and 3D support of civil and environmental engineering projects. This includes but is not limited to animation photo-simulation and modeling. The position requires ability to work as a team member in a fast-paced high stress production pipeline environment as well as act as task lead running your own projects.
* Experience with Autodesk 3D Studio Max Blender Eon Vue Python MaxScript Virtual Design and Adobe Suites * Experience with Civil 3D Microstation or both * Mid to Expert level VRAY * Experience with BIM and Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) processes a plus. *4D Construction Sequencing and/or Android and IOS development experience a plus. * Four year degree (B.S. or B.A) or commensurate experience * Multi-disciplinary background a plus. * Resume and portfolio required
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply for the position of Promotion Coordinator. The Promotion Coordinator will collaborate within the Student Affairs Marketing team to create effective communication pieces to promote programs and services to students of the university. The position requires expertise in graphic design and marketing planning.
You will have the opportunity to: (partial description)
A) Graphic Design 40%
- Create design concepts within the guidelines of the Boise State University brand
- Determine format, art work, photography, paper type, colors, typeface, typesetting specifications, ink selections, size, and finish
- Estimate and report on project costs and production times
- Coordinate departmental printing needs: acquire print bids, work with printer to assure quality, schedule and attends press checks when appropriate, and assist clients in reconciling invoices
- Create illustrations, digital art, sketches, page layout, and related artwork
- Utilize Mac Computer, flatbed scanner, digital camera, and other industry standard design equipment
- Ensures that signage, print pieces, and web requirements meet the objectives and timing of the campaign
- Manage multiple jobs with tight deadlines
- Develop industry-leading marketing communications
- Proactively address evolving marketing needs
- Collaborate with and support web team in the design, development and maintenance of departmental web pages
- Maintain electronic back-up files
- Carefully review and critique all images and graphics used in marketing services to ensure standard of practice